8:00am – 8:00pm Mon–Sat
10:00am – 6:00pm Sunday
(above photo) Pking Design
The Café Central was designed by architect Heinrich von Ferstel as a bank. It was converted in to a coffeehouse in 1860 and today finds itself one of the most famous of Vienna’s cafés.
Central was a regular meeting place for late 19th century intellectuals when it went by the name Die Schachhochschule. It’s clientell included architect Adolf Loos, Mathematician Leo Perutz and Novelist Hugo von Hofmannsthal.
Die Schachhochschule closed its doors at the end of WWII and reopened them after a great renovation in 1975 as the Café Central. Many now categorize it as a tourist trap, but it is worth the visit for it’s architecture and the remarkably conceived pumpkin soup!
Café-Restaurant Milo (formally the Café-Restaurant Una) is located in one of the original wings of the imperial stables. The vaulted ceilings are covered with a beautifull pattern of oriental tiles designed by by Asiye Kolbai-Kafalier (Vienna). The atmosphere is a bit minimalist and cold (It is Austria!), but it is definitely worth visiting to enjoy the work of architects Anne Lacaton and Jean Philippe Vassal.