You enter into the Chartered Bank building – either feeling at ease in a monolithic womb to cash or a sort of annoyance at how much extra money exists to build all this ugly marble :) Then you go down, and down, and down past mirrors and columns and you feel yourself defending into the nether worlds where the real jewels are kept … Mott 32 is a true beauty. With and extraordinary interior by Joice Wang (winner of the 2014 restaurant interior design award).
We sat at the bar and wandered around taking in the opulence. Our bar tender was skilled and quite charming (we did come back for a 2nd cocktail and tried for the same young man). Unfortuneatly the rest of the staff bordered on rude, to the extent that they would follow us to the restroom and trying to prevent one on looking around and actually enjoying the space. It did not make any sense as the restaurant is so beautiful; and a main reason why anyone was there.
The food menu for us was a bit too traditional with their signature peking duck and mountains of pork (a smell permitted the dining area); therefore, we concentrated on the liquid menu :)
Above Photos © Joice Wang
Mott’s 32 cocktail menu is fantastic. As we find in most cities we visit, the menues seem to be born out of NY, LA or London. The menu here was created by an American, who used Asian twists. The flavours are truly local, extensively creative and with a perfect balance. My Old Fashioned was quite new fashioned, and infinitely drinkable!
- Hanami cocktail is made with Buffalo Trace Whiskey, Tanqueray Gin, Umeshu, Yuzu, Shisho, Ginger Beer and Chrysanthemum.
- Plum wine poached Australian pear, candied ginger, cinnamon and Osmanthus flower.
- Soy Sauce Ice Cream
- Rose Garden – Rose, Rhubarb, Roselle and Ginger.
- Passion Cooler is a refreshing alternative for dinner, shaken with Shiso leaf, coconut water, coriander seed and passion fruit.
- The On Leong Tea Cocktail is mixed with Denizen Rum, Osmanthus & Oolong Tea, Passion Fruit and Guava
- Mott 32’s Milk Tram – a delicate shaken cocktail of Belvedere Vodka, Vanilla Syrup, Almond Milk, Matcha Tea and Cinnamon
Standard Chartered Bank Building, 4-4A Des Voeux Rd Central, Hong Kong
12:00 – 15pm Daily
18:00 – 23pm Daily