Wandering down Gumpendorfer on a late, breezy afternoon, we peered into a dim doorway and a monster stared back at us! What is this place?? Gallery, Attraction, Curiosity Shoppe, kink Museum ?? Better than – and in its way, including all of the above – we found ourselves in a very stylish cocktail bar! Quite beautiful in design, by co-owners Tzou Lubroth Architects, and named after… Read More
Originally named “Apotheke zur heiligen Dreifaltigkeit“ (Holy Trinity Pharmacy) the Saint Charles Apotheke has been preparing and selling herbal remedies since 1886. They now also sell their own cosmetic line, as well as other natural cosmetic brands.
Miniscule but grand, intimate yet expansive, Loos Bar American plays on an optical trick of parallel mirrors endlessly reflecting the onyx balustrades and reddish Skyros marble of the high ceiling. The actual bar is only 4.45m (14′) wide by 6.15 (20′) long
This dark, alluring, smoke filled bar, designed in 1908 by Adolf Loos, is a must for architecture lovers and drinkers alike.
The Café Central was designed by architect Heinrich von Ferstel as a bank. It was converted into a coffeehouse in 1860 and today finds itself one of the most famous of Vienna’s cafés. Central was a regular meeting place for late 19th century intellectuals when it went by the name Die Schachhochschule. Its clientele included architect Adolf Loos, Mathematician Leo Perutz, and Novelist Hugo… Read More